"The Tortoise" A Showman's Road-Rail Living Wagon By Orton & Spooner - 1900
“The Tortoise”, bought originally by the Earl of Dudley for a safari trip. It was then sold to the Grey Family who were East Anglian fairground people. Pamela and Rabbi Grey brought up 6 children in this wagon, each one born in the small bedroom.
These Living Wagons were built for the travelling showmen around the early 1900s, when steam engines became available to tow the equipment and their caravans.
These bigger wagons then replaced the traditional bow top wagons, which were pulled by horses.
The tradition of Interior and exterior embellishment and decoration continued and the decorative features inside the Tortoise have all been restored to its original specifications.
Graham Atkinson purchased “The Tortoise” in October 2011 and it